Throughout the fall (September – November) I will be conducting Lakewatches at both Point Petre and Lakeshore Lodge; both prime locations along the south shore of Prince Edward County. Wind direction is the main variable. Strong S, SW and WSW are the best for Lakewatching at this site. The goal will be to see rare and/or otherwise pelagic birds relatively close to the shore, such as Cave Swallow, Pomarine Jaeger, Forster’s Tern, Little Gull, Black-legged Kittiwake, Sabine’s Gull, Red Phalarope, Pacific Loon, King Eider, Harlequin Duck, Purple Sandpiper and more. This type of birding is much more intense than our birding during regularly-scheduled tours, and it must be said that it’s not for everyone. We will be sitting in place for long periods of time in high winds and often rather inclement weather!
What to pack? What to wear?
Pack as much food and drink as possible! Snacks, field lunch and more. A thermos full of coffee/tea and plenty of water as well. When it comes to food/water during tour days, it’s much better to have too much than not enough. As for what to wear, I recommend dressing in layers and packing a good variety of clothes. Make sure you have insulated footwear and decent rainwear, as well.
Given the location, I am expecting a staggered arrival. For some, the drive will be much shorter than others. Therefore, no worries if you’re only able to bird for a few hours (and not the standard half-day tour of 4-4.5 hours). In this case, I will charge by the hour. The fee per hour is $10.00 per person.
Notable bird species seen during these trips
- “Solitary” Vireo (possible Cassin’s), Sandbanks Park, 30 October.
- Baltimore Oriole, Point Petre, 30 October.
- Pacific Loon, Point Petre, 31 October.
- Little Gull, Point Petre, 31 October.
- Baltimore Oriole (continuing), Point Petre, 5 November.
- Jaeger species (2), Point Petre, 5 November.
- Lesser Black-backed Gull (2), Point Petre, 5 November.
- Harlequin Duck, Point Petre, 7 November.
- Pacific Loon, Point Petre, 7 November.
- Black Vulture, Sandbanks Park, 7 November.
- Black Vulture, Sandbanks Park, 12 November (continuing).
- Iceland Gull (Kumlien’s), Sandbanks Park, 12 November.
- White-rumped Sandpiper, Sandbanks Park, 12 November.
- Pomarine Jaeger, Sandbanks Park, 12 November.
- Little Gull (2 adults), East Lake, 30 November.
- Pine Grosbeak, Wellington Harbour, 1 December.
- Great Horned Owl, Prince Edward Point NWA, 1 December.
- Leucistic Long-tailed Duck, Outlet Beach, 1 December.
- Turkey Vultures, wintering, south shore area, 30 Nov/1Dec.